10th-14th October: ONLINE TANJORE WORKSHOP WITH SANJAY TANDEKAR (With Materials)
ONLINE DIWALI SPECIAL TANJORE WORKSHOP BY SANJAY TANDEKAR
DATE: 10th,11th,12th,13th,14th October, 2022
TIME: 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM IST
Sanjay Tandekar, a traditional Tanjore painting artist from will guide you with the process and techniques during the workshop.
This is a BEGINNER FRIENDLY workshop and the following steps will be covered in this 5 day workshop. Tanjore paintings are created with real gold foil (22k Gold). As
Diwali coming up soon, we thought it would be apt to paint a beautiful Tanjore painting of Goddess Lakshmi.
- Tracing , coloring and shading techniques
- Single layer cone work
- Gold foil work
This Diwali brighten your homes with intricately designed and ornate painting of Goddess Laxmi.
The dark background decked with golden border, embedded with colorful stones and goddess Laxmi depicted elegantly seated on a lotus throne, adorned with jewelry is a symbol of wealth and prosperity.
This is going to be a beginner’s friendly workshop, for 5 days you will be guided on to make these artworks. In the beginning, you will be drawing a sketch on a base which is made up of cloth, this cloth is pasted on a wooden base, making a muck board. Then chalk powder is mixed with water-soluble adhesive and applied on the base. After this is done, the sketch is made and is decorated with semi-precious stones. Other objects like threads and laces are also used to decorate it more, it's optionable for you to have it at your disposal. To make the paintings more magnificent, thin sheets of gold are pasted on parts of the painting. You will be indulging in various techniques like tracing, coloring and shading.
You can also signup for the Tanjore Ganesha workshop if you want to create both Lakshmi and Ganesha artworks for Diwali and avail a 10% discount only if you signup for both workshops together. (the discount will apply automatically in your cart if you add both)
The following materials will be sent in the art kit for this workshop:
- Bigger Muckboard (Size: 10/12 inches) -this is the traditional board made by the artist for Tanjore art (we will not be covering making the board in the workshop) . In earlier workshops we have worked on a 8 by 10 inches board and this time as the painting has more work thus we are working with a bigger board.
- Gold foil sheets (22k gold)
- Arabic gum
- Stones in different sizes as required in the artwork (not precious stones)
- Chalk powder
- Artwork and tracing paper
- Red/Yellow carbon paper
- Plastic sheet to make cones
- Cello Tape
- Paper cutter
- Gold Color
At your end please also have the following materials:
- Thread to tie the cone
- Pencil and rubber
- Poster colours (acrylic colours are also ok but poster colors are preferred) and colour pallete
- A smooth silky material cloth- small piece just to pat the gold foil when pasting it
- Please have a hair dryer with you so that the cone work can dry quickly in the first workshop and we can start the gold foil work
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
If you would like to purchase both Lakshmi and Ganesha workshops and get 20% off on both, please buy this bundle.
• We will be sending a calendar invite and email invite with zoom link to join 2 days before the workshop once we receive payment (please don't select the option for COD).
• The workshops are attended by beginners as well as others who may already be acquainted with art hence, we will keep a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
• We will share a recording of the workshop after the workshop, so even if you miss anything please don't worry as you can still follow again from the recording. The artists mostly speak in Hindi, Memeraki team will be moderating and translating.
• Workshop will be conducted over Zoom. If you don't already use Zoom, please download the zoom app on your phone or laptop (easier to sit on a desk with a laptop or with the phone on a stand so you can see the artist paint and follow at the same time and so that the artist can also see you painting. Please sit in a well-lit place)
• Please test audio and video on zoom. Please stay on mute during the workshop so that everyone can hear the artist, please unmute anytime you wish to ask a question. We may also request you to switch off video at some points as the locations where the artists are sometimes don’t have good bandwidth (we have tested and it works fine usually)
• Please also join our Facebook group to keep in touch with us and other participants https://www.facebook.co/groups/1632293370227782. Class is not transferable to another person - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered and please join with the registered email address.