21st January: ONLINE CLAMP DYEING WORKSHOP WITH JABBAR KHATRI (WITH MATERIALS)
ONLINE CLAMP DYEING WORKSHOP WITH JABBAR KHATRI
DATE: 21st JANUARY 2023
TIME: 04:00 - 06:00 PM IST
This will be a two hour class for beginners and will be conducted over Zoom - adults or children above 8 years can join.
Since the 17th century, the brother’s Jabbar and Abdullah Khatri's ancestors were practicing the local and ancient art of bandhani tie-dye. Today they work with 200 rural women on bandhani and are known far and wide for their innovation and exceptional work. Jabbar developed his innovations in bandhani to such a level that he was awarded the prestigious UNESCO Seal of Excellence in both 2006 and 2007. They have been working with clamp dyeing (itajime) techniques for the last 40 years in their workshop in Bhuj.
The following materials will be sent by us for this workshop
- 1 silk stole
- Acid/ Vinegar
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
• We will be sending a calendar invite and email invite with zoom link to join 2 days before the workshop once we receive payment (please don't select the option for COD).
• The workshops are attended by beginners as well as others who may already be acquainted with art hence, we will keep a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
• We will share a recording of the workshop after the workshop, so even if you miss anything please don't worry as you can still follow again from the recording. The artists mostly speak in Hindi, Memeraki team will be moderating and translating.
• Workshop will be conducted over Zoom. If you don't already use Zoom, please download the zoom app on your phone or laptop (easier to sit on a desk with a laptop or with the phone on a stand so you can see the artist paint and follow at the same time and so that the artist can also see you painting. Please sit in a well-lit place)
• Please test audio and video on zoom. Please stay on mute during the workshop so that everyone can hear the artist, please unmute anytime you wish to ask a question. We may also request you to switch off video at some points as the locations where the artists are sometimes don’t have good bandwidth (we have tested and it works fine usually)
• Please also join our Facebook group to keep in touch with us and other participants https://www.facebook.co/groups/1632293370227782. Class is not transferable to another person - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered and please join with the registered email address.