Buy Recording: ONLINE KANTHA WORKSHOP with Sakina Khatun (With Materials)
- Shipping charges: Free in India, US$18 in Hong Kong, US$26 for rest of the world & USA (higher for bigger sized Totes and will be visible during checkout)
- Shipping will take upto 1 week for India and upto 2 weeks for rest of the world.
ONLINE KANTHA WORKSHOP with Sakina Khatun
DATES: 21st March, Sunday
Time: 10:30 am to 12:30 am IST
Limited seats for the first 10 signups only. This will be 1 class of 2 hours each and will be conducted over Zoom - only for adults. We would be learning to the craft of Kantha by National Award Winner artisan Sakina Khatun from West Bengal and will be embroidering our own stole (Sent in the workshop art kit)
About Kantha: Kantha is a form of embroidery often practised by women in the eastern regions of the Indian subcontinent, specifically in Bangladesh and in the Indian states of West Bengal, Tripura and Odisha. The traditional form of Kantha embroidery was done with soft dhotis and saris, with a simple running stitch along the edges. Depending on the use of the finished product they were known as Lepkantha or Sujni Kantha.
Materials that will be sent as part of this workshop:
- 1 white cotton stole ( 190 * 75 cm)
- Extra cotton cloth to practise the motifs
- Sets of threads in 4/5 colors
- Embroidery Frame (Round) , 8*8 inch diameter
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
Terms and conditions:
- Bookings open for the first 10 signups only
- The kantha motif taught will be the one shown in this image
- Details to join the zoom call and a calendar invite will be sent on Fridays, a day before the workshops once we receive payment (please don't select the option for COD).
- The workshops are attended by beginners as well as others who may already be acquainted with art hence, we will keep a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
- We will share a recording of the workshop after the workshop, so even if you miss anything please don't worry as you can still follow again from the recording. We will keep the recordings for a week, please download after the workshop.
- The artists mostly speak in Hindi, Memeraki team will be moderating and translating.
- Workshop will be conducted over Zoom. If you don't already use Zoom, please download the zoom app on your phone or laptop (easier to sit on a desk with a laptop or with the phone on a stand so you can see the artist paint and follow at the same time and so that the artist can also see you painting. Please sit in a well-lit place)
- Please test audio and video on zoom. Please stay on mute during the workshop so that everyone can hear the artist, please unmute anytime you wish to ask a question. We may also request you to switch off video at some points as the locations where the artists are sometimes don’t have good bandwidth (we have tested and it works fine usually)
- We will also create a WhatsApp group for easy communication on the day of the class. The group will be deleted a couple of days after the class. Please also join our Facebook group to keep in touch with us and other participants https://www.facebook.com/groups/1632293370227782.
- Class is not transferable to another person - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered and please join with the registered email address