17th August 2022 : ONLINE PHULKARI WORKSHOP WITH REKHA MAN (with materials)
ONLINE PHULKARI WORKSHOP WITH REKHA MAN
DATE: 17th August, 2022
TIME: 10:30 AM to12:30 PM IST
This workshop will be of two hours for beginners and willconducted over zoom - adults or children above 8 years can join
We would be learning the basic stitches of Phulkari in this workshop (there are 20 different traditional motifs).
‘Phul‘ (flower) and ‘Kari‘ (work) has been an intricate part of Punjabi culture -it is done with untwisted floss silk yarn called pat and typically produced with the use of darn style stitching on the opposite side of the material.
About the Artist: Rekha Man, is a national awardee in the craft of Phulkari and has also founded a non profit in Patiala to empower many rural women with this craft.
The following materials will be sent for this workshop:
- Embroidery Frame ( 6 * 6 inch)
- Small Scissors
- Needle (1 packet)
- Silk thread- 4 colours
- Seam Ripper
- Measuring tape
- Handkerchief and cotton cloth
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
• We will be sending a calendar invite and email invite with zoom link to join 2 days before the workshop once we receive payment (please don't select the option for COD).
• The workshops are attended by beginners as well as others who may already be acquainted with art hence, we will keep a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
• We will share a recording of the workshop after the workshop, so even if you miss anything please don't worry as you can still follow again from the recording. The artists mostly speak in Hindi, Memeraki team will be moderating and translating.
• Workshop will be conducted over Zoom. If you don't already use Zoom, please download the zoom app on your phone or laptop (easier to sit on a desk with a laptop or with the phone on a stand so you can see the artist paint and follow at the same time and so that the artist can also see you painting. Please sit in a well-lit place)
• Please test audio and video on zoom. Please stay on mute during the workshop so that everyone can hear the artist, please unmute anytime you wish to ask a question. We may also request you to switch off video at some points as the locations where the artists are sometimes don’t have good bandwidth (we have tested and it works fine usually)
• Please also join our Facebook group to keep in touch with us and other participants https://www.facebook.co/groups/1632293370227782. Class is not transferable to another person - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered and please join with the registered email address.