Buy Recording: ONLINE APPLIQUE WORKSHOP with KARTHIK (With Materials)
- Shipping charges: Free in India, US$18 in Hong Kong, US$26 for rest of the world & USA (higher for bigger sized Totes and will be visible during checkout)
- Shipping will take upto 1 week for India and upto 2 weeks for rest of the world.
ONLINE APPLIQUE WORKSHOP WITH KARTIK CHAUHAN
This workshop is now over and you can buy the recording.
The workshop was one class over two hours for beginners and was conducted over Zoom and thus one recording would be shared - only for adults. We would be learning to the craft of Applique and crafting our own cushion covers.
About the Artist: Kartikbhai Chauhan's family along with many others migrated from Sindh (Paskistan) to Jamnagar in 1946 during the India-Pakistan partition. They brought with them almost nothing except for the ancient craft of applique work that their forefathers had taught them. In Jamnagar some took to weaving dhablas (coarse woolen shawls) and Tangalia (skirt pieces) for the local Bharwad community, while others took to working as laborers in farmlands and construction sites. Kartikbhai has been working on the craft of Applique for over a decade, and has been observing it since he was child. He has come a long way in keeping a craft alive and in providing employment to his community and people and has made Applique craft into a sustainable craft by educating people about the craft. In 2017 he was invited to IIFA (International Folk Art Alliance-Santa fe, New Mexico) and has travelled to over 10 countries to promote applique craft.
About Applique: The word “appliqué” is derived from the French verb “appliquer,” meaning “to put on.” It refers to a textile craft in which one piece of fabric is sewn over another for a decorative effect. Appliqué is found in many forms of folk art, from Gujarati Indian tent fabrics to American colonial quilts. Patchwork and Appliqué are very ancient techniques and sometimes referred to asone. The only difference between them is that patchwork or piecework is theprocess of seaming small pieces of fabric in to a larger whole, while appliqué is theprocess of sewing smaller pieces of fabric onto a larger background fabric. It is atechnique of forming a single pattern with different pieces of cloth. Pieces offabric are applied on top of another for decorative or functional purposes. In India, applique and patchwork take many forms in different parts of India - Pipli, Lambani, Khatwa, Ralli Quilt
Materials that will be sent as part of this workshop:
- 16"*16" plain white cushion cover
- Small pieces of cloth in 4 colours for the applique work
- Threads in 4 colours
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
Terms and conditions:
- This workshop has now been concluded and you can purchase the recording for this workshop to practice in your own time
- Recording will be accessible with the same email address that you signup with - we will send you a google drive link within24 hours of your purchase
- No materials will be included
- Please don't select COD as the payment option for workshops and please pay via our payment gateway