Sristi- Tattva: ASSAMESE MANUSCRIPT PAINTING BY MRIDU MOUCHAM BORA
- Shipping charges: Free in India, US$18 in Hong Kong, US$26 for rest of the world & USA (higher for bigger sized Totes and will be visible during checkout)
- Shipping will take upto 1 week for India and upto 2 weeks for rest of the world.
This painting depicts the Kurma or the Kachha avatar of Vishnu. This avatar is associated with the mythological story of the churning of the ocean. Water is beautifully depicted using wave like patterns of dark blue and white. There is no shading involved. Behind the Kurma avatar, there is Shesh Naaga, the recliner of Vishnu. The painting is flat with a plain yellow border.
The assamese manuscript paintings have been a vibrant form of painting and were given a definite shape during the bhakti movement by saint sankaradeva in the 15th century.
Over 150 illustrated manuscripts have been discovered in Assam till date. The manuscript paintings that we see today have a stylistic amalgamation of the rajasthani and mughal miniature art. The different styles of Assamese Manuscript Painting Tradition are Sattriya, Gadgayan, Darrangi and the Tai style. The manuscript paintings consist of religious illustrations from the hindu mythology. However, there are secular manuscripts as well, such as the buranjis, or the manuscripts on chronicles of kings. The natural colours red, yellow, blue, white and black are used in the paintings. Traditionally these were drawn on the bark of agar (sanchipat), hand made paper pulp (tulapat), wooden plate and on muga clothes.
Our Assamese Manuscript painting artist Mridu Moucham Bora has been associated with the different art and cultural traditions of Assam, such as manuscript painting, mask making, wood carving, terracotta, etc. He has written extensively on manuscript conservation as well. He is one of the only living artists to have illustrated five manuscripts in sankari painting tradition. He uses the traditional and folk elements in his paintings, bringing them back from the verge of extinction.
- Size: 18 inches by 8 inches
- Painted on paper with natural colours made by the artist
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame.
- Handpainted in Assamese Manuscript style of art by artist Mridu Mouchum Bora
- The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image.
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings