15th JAN: FREE CHITRAKATHI LEATHER PUPPETRY SHOW BY CHETAN GANGVANE
FREE CHITRAKATHI LEATHER PUPPETRY SHOW BY CHETAN GANGVANE
DAY: 15th Jan, Friday
Time: 07:30 pm to 08:00 pm IST
This will be a free half an hour leather puppetry show, children and adults can join.
The Gangawane family are Chitrakathi artists who continue in the traditional craft, while also moving forward into contemporary interpretations. Parshuram Gangawane along with his two sons regularly hold Chitrakathi performances in their museum.. The Gangawane family is so devoted to preserving their collective art form that they have sold their cows and converted their cowshed into a museum on Chitrakathi where they hold their workshops and performances – the museum is called the ThakarAdivasi Kala Angan (Museum and Art Gallery) of the ancient village of Pinguli. The Thakar Adivasi caste of Pinguli is traditionally occupied with eleven different performance arts. Amongst these are the KalsutriBahulya, a string marionette show depicting the epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata; the Dayati, shadow puppet theatre; the Chitrakathi, storytelling with the help of paintings; and the Pangulbael, a ritual form of theatre around the figure of the sacred bull of Shiva.
Chetan has also completed a Bachelor in Arts from Mumbai University and from last 20 years has been working on the craft and all in all Thakar art forms all over India.
Materials that you will need:
- A4 Size plain paper (a couple of extra sheets to practice sketching).
- Poster colors (preferred, if you don’t have access to poster colors, you can use acrylic colors).
- Brushes (size 0 to size 4/5), water and palette for mixing.
- Black pen for outlines (not mandatory, can outline with brush and paint too)
- Pencil and rubber for sketching
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
Terms and Conditions:
- Details to join the zoom call and a calendar invite will be sent a day before the workshops once we receive payment (please don't select the option for COD).
- The workshops are attended by beginners as well as others who may already be acquainted with art hence, we will keep a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
- We will share a recording of the workshop after the workshop, so even if you miss anything please don't worry as you can still follow again from the recording. We will keep the recordings for a week, please download after the workshop.
- The artists mostly speak in Hindi, Memeraki team will be moderating and translating.
- Workshop will be conducted over Zoom. If you don't already use Zoom, please download the zoom app on your phone or laptop (easier to sit on a desk with a laptop or with the phone on a stand so you can see the artist paint and follow at the same time and so that the artist can also see you painting. Please sit in a well-lit place)
- Please test audio and video on zoom. Please stay on mute during the workshop so that everyone can hear the artist, please unmute anytime you wish to ask a question. We may also request you to switch off video at some points as the locations where the artists are sometimes don’t have good bandwidth (we have tested and it works fine usually)
- We will also create a WhatsApp group for easy communication on the day of the class. The group will be deleted a couple of days after the class. Please also join our Facebook group to keep in touch with us and other participants https://www.facebook.com/groups/1632293370227782.
- Class is not transferable to another person - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered and please join with the registered email address