26th April: Online Cheriyal Scroll Workshop with Sai Kiran
Sold OutRs. 750.00
These are unprecedented times - we wanted to do something to help our artists and help the community at the same time. We posted online art tutorial videos by our artists which were really loved by people and encouraged us to initiate live online art classes. Art is truly therapeutic and will hopefully help you as much as it is helping us. All proceeds from the sales of these art workshops will be passed directly to our artists.
DAY: 26th April, Sunday
Time: 1-3 pm India time / 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm Hong Kong time
We will be painting this Krishna artwork in Cheriyal scroll during the class - Sai Kiran will guide you on how to create the basic drawing, colour combinations and the final finishing. At the end of the class we will also share images of other more complicated artworks which you can practice in your own time. Step by step instructions will be given and also shared after the class. You can get direct feedback from the artist during the class.
Materials that you will need:
- Paper (this painting is about regular A4 size, slightly smaller)
- Brushes from size 0 to size 5/6 should be enough
- Colours – acrylic or poster colours
- Black rotoring pen for outlines
This will be a two hour class for beginners and will be conducted over Zoom and is suitable for both adults and children above 8.
About the Artist - Sai Kiran Dhanalakota - The DhanalaKota family is the last practicing family for Cheriyal Scroll art, and the 27 year old artist SaiKiran, shoulders the big responsibility of carrying forward this legacy. A 160 year old Cheriyal scroll painted by his great great grandfather is also exhibited in a museum in Paris to give you an idea of his family's legacy. With the demand for Cheriyal scrolls reducing, his parents told him to study and not pursue art, but SaiKiran pursued a degree in fine arts to learn new art techniques to contemporarise the art and make it relevant in today's times. He wishes the Cheriyal scroll artists knew more about the stories they are painting too, since the storytellers for these paintings are independent and add their own colour to the stories, but he makes an effort to learn these stories and his own favorite story is that of Gaurapuranama, about Toddy Tappers (Wine tappers). Such wise words from such a young one ' We change our phones every year, our phone covers every 2 months, change is such a constant, so our art has to keep up with this change and evolve too'
More classes will be organised every week with other artists as well, we hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
Terms and Conditions:
- Details to join the zoom call will be sent once we receive payment and you will be asked to share the name of the participant. Only one participant per purchase and please join with the registered email address. We will also send a Google Calendar invite once you register
- All the sales proceeds minus payment gateway cost will be passed to the artist as we are facilitating these workshops to help our artists during these unprecedented times
- Class is not transferrable to another person and maximum 10 people per class - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered
Each of our bags is one of a kind and an exact copy of the same bag would not be made, however if you like the artwork or the style of bag and would like something similar, please click on 'Email us to customise a similar style/art bag' and we will get back to you with which styles of bags we currently have available where the artwork can be customised.