Theru: the chariot by Ishwar Naik (maroon), Chittara Art
A large chariot-like vehicle is used in the temples of south India to take the idols of gods and godesses in procession during temple festivals. The Deewaru tribals believe in Maramma and Holeyamma (tribal Godesses) who are shown as being carried in the painting. The birds on the vehicle escort the Godesses in the procession, while the tribal men are shown pulling the chariot with ropes.
Chittara is an autochthonous art practice. It is a ubiquitous cultural phenomenon of the Deevaru community – a matriarchal and an agrarian community of nature worshipers, residing in an around Sagar. It is engaged primarily by the Women folk of the community as a socio-cultural practice, which embodies a microcosm of socio-cultural dynamic.
“It is not just an art, it is an important aspect of life. In these parts, you associate Chittara right from birth ; most of the auspicious rituals, like the naming ceremony of a child, happen under the wall that has a Chittara painting This art form has documented how man has evolved and became civilised. And it will continue to do so”. Says Ishwar Naik Ji, a national award winner for Chittara Art. Traditionally while Chittara paintings are done by women, Ishwar Naik is one of the few men who has learnt this art form from his mother . “ I had to research it for five years consistently to find reasons behind the use of colours and lines. Keeping all this in mind I painted my ‘Aradhana chitra’ for which I won my national award. In this picture, I depicted everything I had learnt – respect, respect for fellow humans, respect for nature, all things that are part of life”, he says explaining his motivation behind reviving Chittara.
- Size : 15 inch ×23 inch
- Handmade colors on Canvas
- Chittara art style
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat