24th April: LIVE ONLINE SIKKI GRASS WEAVING WORKSHOP with Nazda Khatoon(With Materials)
- Shipping charges: Free in India, US$18 in Hong Kong, US$26 for rest of the world & USA (higher for bigger sized Totes and will be visible during checkout)
- Shipping will take upto 1 week for India and upto 2 weeks for rest of the world.
ONLINE SIKKI WEAVING WORKSHOP with Nazda Khatoon
DATES: 24th April, Saturday
Time: 10:30 am to 12:30 am IST
This will be 1 class of 2 hours and will be conducted over Zoom - only for adults. We would be learning the craft of Sikki Grass weaving with artisan Nazda Khatoon from Bihar and will be weaving our own coasters (materials in the workshop art kit)
About Sikki Grass Weaving: The story of Sikki grass weaving (the golden grass globally known as Vetiver Grass) dates back to the early Vedic period when it was practised in the midst of a nomadic life inching towards settlement. Sikki is a 4-feet tall lush green grass that grows independently along ponds or lakes. Earlier people, especially women, would create dolls, containers, toys, storage boxes, bangles and other articles with the grass. Grains were stored in Sikki containers and young girls were judged based on their skill in the art.
Materials that will be sent as part of this workshop:
- Sikki grass coloured in 3 different colours by the artist
- Traditonal tool for weaving: Takua (about 6 inch long needle like object made of lac)
We hope you can join us to support the arts and artists.
Terms and conditions:
- Booking open for first 10 registrations only
- We will be sending a calendar invite and email invite with zoom link to join 2 days before the workshop once we receive payment (please don't select the option for COD).
- The workshops are attended by beginners as well as others who may already be acquainted with art hence, we will keep a pace that everyone is comfortable with.
- We will share a recording of the workshop after the workshop, so even if you miss anything please don't worry as you can still follow again from the recording.
- The artists mostly speak in Hindi, MeMeraki team will be moderating and translating.
- Workshop will be conducted over Zoom. If you don't already use Zoom, please download the zoom app on your phone or laptop (easier to sit on a desk with a laptop or with the phone on a stand so you can see the artist paint and follow at the same time and so that the artist can also see you painting. Please sit in a well-lit place)
- Please test audio and video on zoom. Please stay on mute during the workshop so that everyone can hear the artist, please unmute anytime you wish to ask a question. We may also request you to switch off video at some points as the locations where the artists are sometimes don’t have good bandwidth (we have tested and it works fine usually)
- Please also join our Facebook group to keep in touch with us and other participants https://www.facebook.com/groups/1632293370227782.
- Class is not transferable to another person - please do not share the zoom class link with others once you have registered and please join with the registered email address