Krishna : BENGAL PATTACHITRA PAINTING BY MANORANJAN CHITRAKAR
Krishna handpainted in Bengal Pattachitra by artist Manoranjan Chitrakar
The painting depicts one of the scenes from Lord Krishna's childhood. Little Krishna has been shown standing behind his mother "Yashoda", while she's milking the cow. The elements of this painting are subtle yet outstanding. The mother is shown wearing a saree that has been painted in light strokes to show transparency and replicate the actual form, while Lord Krishna is shown wearing a dhoti. The composition lies in a vertical manner with an engaging background covered by trees.
Bengal Patuas or Chitrakars are bearers of an ancient storytelling tradition that is fast disappearing. The Patua artists represent a unique and secular art tradition, earning their livelihood by telling stories from Hindu mythology, local folklore, Sufi tradition and contemporary themes, through paintings and song. In Sanskrit, ‘pata’ means cloth — the Patuas initially painted on dried leaves or cloth; they painted stories of culture, religion, society, nature and folklore, accompanied by song.
Manoranjan aka Manu Chitrakar, has been painting for 30 years since the age of 15. He loves to depict social issues in his works. Manuji has travelled all across India and to Sweden and Paris as well. ”In West Bengal, the word chitrakar refers to patachitra painters. We have taken Chitrakar as our last name for hundreds of years.”
- Size: 12 x 18” inches
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame.
- Handpainted in Bengal Pattachitra (Patua) style on paper
- Painted with Natural colours made by the artist.
- The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image.
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- Artist: Manoranjan Chitrakar
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat