A Pond of Lotuses: PICHWAI PAINTING BY SHEHZAAD ALI SHERANI
Lotuses play an important role in the pichwai painting because it was loved by shri Krishna. In the paintings, he holds lotus in his right hand and wears a garland of lotuses. At some places even his bed was decorated with lotuses. In the painting we can also see ducks and fishes in the pond. The ducks occur in pairs, symbolic of the union.
One of the well known Pichwai artists from Kishangarh, Shehzad Ali Sherani is the recipient of many awards like the State Award, the Rajasthan Lalit Kala Academi Commendation certificate and more. He has been practicing Pichwai and Kishangarh art for many years and learnt under the expert guidance of Padmashri Kripal Singh Shekhawat.
Pichwai paintings originated 400 years ago in Nathdwara, near Udaipur. Although its origin is not known, it is believed that an idol of mountain holder was discovered near Udaipur around 1400 CE. Soon a temple was constructed at the site. During the 16th century, the local artists began decorating the temple, one of them being the Pichwai. Pichwai painting tradition refers to the Mewar school of Rajasthani painting. Pichwai is the Sanskrit word gets where pichh which means back and wai means hanging textile. The theme of the painting is always Shri Krishna, mostly in the form of shrinathji. Shrinathji is the manifestation of Krishna as a seven year old. Other common themes are radha-krishan, gopis, cows and lotuses. It also depicts festicals such as sharad Purnima, raas leela, Govardhan puja, janamashtami, holi, Diwali, etc. These paintings are generally made by the members of Pushti Marg sect. It was founded by Shri Valabhacharya in the 16th century.
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat