Shiv-Parvati Kalighat Painting by Uttam Chitrakar
Shiva and Parvati are hindu gods and goddesses worshipped all across India. The painting shows one of the most famous and sacred topics of Kalighat paintings, Lord Shiva and Parvati. It is said that Lord Shiva played a major role being the inspiration of the emergence of this artform.
About The Art: Kalighat paintings are a part of pattachitra paintings originating in West Bengal in the 19th century. Made on paper scrolls, the style got its name due to the thriving settlement of the patuas or cloth-painters around the temples of Kali at Kalighat in Kolkata. There are two types of Kalighat paintings that one can witness, Oriental and Occidental. The Oriental Kalighat paintings such as Rama-Sita, Radha-Krishna, goddess Durga, goddess Laksmi, goddess Annapurna, Hanuman, Shiva and Parvati, among others. Occidental are more contemporary style featuring secular and civil themes like crime, women bathing, the evolving role of men and women in the society since the emphasis on women’s education, the hypocritical lives of the quasi-bourgeois, depictions of the freedom struggle, heroes of the struggle including Rani Lakshmi Bai and Tipu Besides motifs, Kalighat paintings feature the use of basic colors like indigo, blue, black, yellow, red and green due to the predominant use of homemade dyes. Only for ornamentation would artisans use silver and gold.
About The Artist : Uttam Chitrakar is a Kalighat artist from Medinipur . He learnt this art from his mother and father and started painting from the age of 12 and now his wife and he are artists together. He has experimented with many contemporary themes to bring a new narrative in the traditional art of Kalighat and has exhibited at several prominent exhibitions across the country.
- Size: 22"× 14" inch
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Handpainted in Kalighat Bengal Pattachitra style on paper
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat