RAMAYANA: CHERIYAL SCROLL PAINTING
The Ramayana is an ancient Sanskrit epic which follows Prince Rama's quest to rescue his beloved wife Sita from the clutches of Ravana with the help of an army of monkeys. It is traditionally attributed to the authorship of the sage Valmiki and dated to around 500 BCE to 100 BCE.
The painting is divided into several sections with each section given its own details, telling a different story. The artwork shows different scenes from the Ramayana and in the middle we see Rama and Sita together getting married.
These scrolls are painted in narrative format similar to a film roll or even comic strips, and depict stories from the Indian mythology as well as the shorter stories related to the Puranas and Epics.
Cheriyal Scroll Painting is a popular and modified version of Nakashi art, considered highly rich in the local motifs. This art form is unique to the state of Telangana and made mostly in Hyderabad currently. This traditional art form is considered an inseparable part of the profession comprising the story-telling and balladeer community called Kaki Padagollu. They have displayed these scrolls which are also accompanied by music and dance.
The Dhanalakota family is the last practicing family for Cheriyal Scroll art, and the 27 year old artist Sai Kiran, shoulders the big responsibility of carrying forward this legacy. A 160 year old Cheriyal scroll painted by his great great grandfather is also exhibited in a museum in Paris to give you an idea of his family's legacy. With the demand for Cheriyal scrolls reducing, his parents told him to study and not pursue art, but Sai Kiran pursued a degree in fine arts to learn new art techniques to contemporarise the art and make it relevant in today's times.
- Size: 3 x6 ft.
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Handpainted in Cheriyal Scroll style with natural colours on a canvas prepared by the artist
- The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- Artist : Sai Kiran
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat