Babu Biwi, Kalighat Art by Bapi Chitrakar
Babu Biwi means husband and wife in Bengal. The artist has shown a couple sitting together in a romantic posture. The woman is wearing a traditional Bengali attire and holding her husband by the neck, while the man has been shown admiring her
Kalighat Pata -The Patuas who migrated to Kolkata in the 18th and 19th centuries observed a society in the throes of colonial rule. The artists began to portray the rising ‘Babu culture’ among Anglophiles in the form of ‘Babu Pata’ and the cruelty and callousness of colonisers in the form of ‘Sahib Pata
The Bengal Pattachitra is a visual and oral art tradition practised by the Patuas or Chitrakars of West Bengal. Islamic by faith, Patua artists represent a unique and secular art tradition. They earn their livelihood by telling stories from Hindu Mythology, local folklores, Sufi tradition and contemporary themes through paintings and songs. Though the origin of the Patua tradition has been difficult to trace for art historians, some claim the oral form goes back all the way to the 10th or 11th century CE. The physical evidence of a scroll, however, only makes an appearance in the 18th century CE.
Bapi Chitrakar, has been painting for many years since he was a child and this art has been in his family for generations. In West Bengal, the word chitrakar refers to patachitra painters and the artists there have taken Chitrakar as their last name for hundreds of years.
- Size: A4 (8-1/4 x 11-3/4 inches)
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Handpainted in Kalighat Bengal Pattachitra style on paper
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- Artist: Bapi Chitrakar
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat