Babu, Kalighat Art by Bapi Chitrakar
The painting shows a man of high social status considering the setting of the painting, wearing a dhoti and a kurta sitting on a chair and admiring a painting. The composition is subtle and simple with a plain background and the man as the focus of this work.
Kalighat Pata -The Patuas who migrated to Kolkata in the 18th and 19th centuries observed a society in the throes of colonial rule. The artists began to portray the rising ‘Babu culture’ among Anglophiles in the form of ‘Babu Pata’ and the cruelty and callousness of colonisers in the form of ‘Sahib Pata
The Bengal Pattachitra is a visual and oral art tradition practised by the Patuas or Chitrakars of West Bengal. Islamic by faith, Patua artists represent a unique and secular art tradition. They earn their livelihood by telling stories from Hindu Mythology, local folklores, Sufi tradition and contemporary themes through paintings and songs. Though the origin of the Patua tradition has been difficult to trace for art historians, some claim the oral form goes back all the way to the 10th or 11th century CE. The physical evidence of a scroll, however, only makes an appearance in the 18th century CE.
Bapi Chitrakar, has been painting for many years since he was a child and this art has been in his family for generations. In West Bengal, the word chitrakar refers to patachitra painters and the artists there have taken Chitrakar as their last name for hundreds of years.
- Size: A4 (8-1/4 x 11-3/4 inches)
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Handpainted in Kalighat Bengal Pattachitra style on paper
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- Artist: Bapi Chitrakar
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat