Sagat Mata & Meldi Mata : Mata ni Pachedi Painting by Sanjay Chittara
Sagat Mata is the goddess with supremacy over demonic powers, as hinted by her vahan, the bull, typically embodied by the black, male buffalo that symbolizes demonic powers.
A folk goddess worshiped by the Vaghri community of Gujarat, Meladi Mata is identified by her mount, the black goat.
About Art : Mata ni pachedi literally means “behind the mother goddess”, and is a cloth that constitutes a temple of the goddess. When people of the nomadic Vaghari community of Gujarat were barred from entering temples, they made their own shrines with depictions of the Mother Goddess on cloth. This ingenuous solution is believed to be the origin of Mata ni Pachedi, the sacred art, which is now revered by all.
About Artist : This is our 300 year art that was previously done as block print on red and black colour but now we completely create the entire artwork by hand. I learnt this art from my father Shri Chunnilal ji." Sanjay Chittara is a leading exponent of the art of Mata ni Pachedi, and has been conferred the national award in 2000 and the state award in 1999. Today his son Sumit Sanjay Bhai Chittara is also learning the art from him and taking it forward in many new ways.
- Size: 2.5 x 4 Feet
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Mata ni Pachedi by Sanjay Chittara
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- Made on cloth with natural colours made by the artist
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat