Tree of Life: Phad painting by Kalyan Joshi
Tree of life is a concept closely related to the concept of sacred tree which represents that everything is interconnected. It symbolizes togetherness and rooted with the fact we are never alone and are connected to the universe.
Born in 1969 at Bhilwara in Rajasthan, Kalyan Joshi comes from a lineage of Phad painters of the 13th century. Starting to paint when he was just eight, under the guidance of his father Padma Shree Lal Joshi, he has continued to paint and refine his skills. Although he graduated in Commerce, it was art that he chose for his profession. He continues to paint on cloth, epics and popular legends of folk heroes and deities of Rajasthan such as Pabuji and Devnarayan, which work as the backdrops during performances of epics. Rolled up, these used to be taken along by singers as they travelled through the villages. While retaining the essence of Phad, Kalyan also experiments with line drawing and collage; character animation and montage to give his stories a contemporary touch. Founder of the Ankan Artists’ Group, he has also been running Chitrashala, an art school for children in his hometown. He has received the Gauri Shankar Mehta Award and National Merit Award and has conducted numerous workshops. His work has been exhibited in shows at Delhi, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Bhopal, Mumbai, Singapore, New York, London and Spain, amongst others. The artist lives and works in Bhilwara and his daughter Kritika Joshi is also continuing the tradition of Phad.
Phad Painting or Phad is a style religious scroll painting and folk painting, practiced in Rajasthan state of India. This style of painting is traditionally done on a long piece of cloth or canvas, known as phad. The narratives of the folk deities of Rajasthan, mostly of Pabuji and Devnarayan are depicted on the phads.
- Size: 20x36 inches
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Handpainted in Phad style with natural pigment and gold colours on cloth
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat.
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat