Tree of Life Rogan Art by Rizwan Khatri
The painting depicts the “Tree of Life” is known as "Akshaya Vata" (Akshaya means immortal and Vata means tree) in Hindu mythology and refers to Banyan tree.The Banyan tree is associated with many Hindu gods like Lord Shiva, the ascetic Hindu God; and Yama, the God of death. It represents one's spiritual aspirations and detachment from materialism. The painting here depicts animals that are found in jungles and forests.
About the Art : The Rogan Art, an ancient textile art,originating from Persia. It came to Nirona Village Kutch Gujarat around 400 years ago. Rogan is a form of textile painting utilising rich, brightly coloured paint made from castor oil and natural colours. The term Rogan means ‘Oil-based’ in Persian. It refers to the thick substance formulated by heating and adding castor oil in cold water. Rogan paste is made in the jungle where artisans mix oil and natural colour. After it is mixed with natural colours, the paste is drawn out into a fine ‘thread’ with a metal stylus called ‘Kalam’. The artisans then place a small amount of this paint paste into their palm and at body temperature, the paint is carefully twisted across the cloth into motifs and patterns using the ‘Kalam’. Next, the artisan folds the fabric thereby printing its mirror image. The finer details are then added thus completing the Rogan painting.
About the Artist : Rizwan Khatri is a 7th generation Rogan artist. His father Sidik Khatri, a well known Master artist from village Nirona in Kutch lost everything after the 2001 earthquake and had to forcibly give up rogan art in order to support his family. Rizwan was a young student then but had the vision and love for his family's heritage to take up rogan art again. His father, first skeptical, saw his perseverance and supported him and his brother then took up the art too and together they have been innovating and taking this art forward in new ways. His work has now also been showcased at the Lakme Fashion Week and a painting by him has also been presented by PM Modi to the British High Commissioner. Rizwan has now also taken the initiative to teach this art to 15 women in his village - again a testament to his progressive thinking as women were earlier barred from learning this art.
- Size: 14 by 17 inches
- Price is for unframed artwork and artwork would be sent without a frame
- Rogan Art by Rizwan Khatri painted using traditional rogan art colours on cloth
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the artwork in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings and artworks
- This artwork will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
Certificate of Authentication will be provided
Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat