VISAT MATA: Mata ni Pachedi painting by Dilip Chittara
Vis is Gujarati for twenty and haat is arm, making this twenty-armed goddess an invincible warrior. Vishat Mata’s vahan, a gift from Lord Vishnu, is a black buffalo. She is often found on chandarvos or canopies and is one of the most important goddesses of the Vaghri tribe. It is believed that Vishat Mata created a drummer-man from the sweat of her breasts; Vaghris believe they are descended from this man. (Source: Sarmaya)
Mata ni pachedi literally means “behind the mother goddess”, and is a cloth that constitutes a temple of the goddess. When people of the nomadic Vaghari community of Gujarat were barred from entering temples, they made their own shrines with depictions of the Mother Goddess on cloth. This ingenuous solution is believed to be the origin of Mata ni Pachedi, the sacred art, which is now revered by all.
Dilip Chittara is a 5th generation Mata ni Pachedi artist. Dilip ji is both a national and state award winner. His is one of the 10 families left who are practicing this art and reside in Ashoknagar(near Ahmedabad in Gujarat).
- Size: 54 inches by 42 inches
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- Mata ni Pachedi by Dilip Chittara
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat.
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat