Flying Birds: GOND ART BY SAROJ VENKAT SHYAM
The painting depicts a flock of birds as the central figure. The lines are used in such a way that they convey a sense of motion and movement to the painting. It almost appears as if the birds really are flying towards their nests. Saroj ji has a signature style used to fill in the paintings – the nagavanshi style. It comprises of a snake-like pattern. She uses this to distinguish her paintings from the other gond artists.
Saroj Venkat Shyam belongs to the Pardhan Gond tribal community and was born in village Patangarh, district Dindori, Madhya Pradesh. She has been practising Gond art for the last 20 years and has exhibited internationally and also conducted many gond art workshops in India.
In the depths of Madhya Pradesh, India, beats the heart of the Gonds- a tribe as old as time. As the community bard (singers) or Pardhan invokes their Great God- Bada Deo- while playing the Bana instrument, he fulfills the crucial task of keeping alive the legendary tales of the ancient Gond kings. Every story, song, dance, and painting brings the community together in a shared celebration of nature and the universe. The Gond tribe has several branches or gotras, each with its own story of origin. The Pardhans, they say, are descended from the youngest of seven Gond brothers who became a priest and a storyteller on the instruction of Bada Deo. As the ancient tribal fable unfolds in the 21st century, the gond artist’s vivid paintings narrate tales of their faiths and beliefs, world view, their visual expression and sense of identity - both as a collective , and as individuals. Vibrant colours and animated motifs filled with intricate patterns of dots and dashes bring their mythical jungle to life. Trees, animals, birds, the sky, water, and earth sway and dance to the rhythm of the Pardhan’s tunes and brush strokes. Gond traditions and fables are a reflection of man’s close connection with his natural surroundings. The Gond painting transports you to the seamless world of the imaginative and the surprising.
- Size: 15x22 inches
- Acrylic colours on paper
- Painted in Gond art by artist Saroj Venkat Shyam
- Price is for unframed painting and painting would be sent without a frame
- The image shown here is representative to help visualise the painting in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
- This painting will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat