Marwari Kavad by Satyanarayan (8 part Kavad , 10 inch height)
The Kavad is a mobile story-telling device that sometimes serves as a temporary temple. It is created by combining the skills of carpentry, painting and narration. As separate professions, the carpenter is called a suthar, an artist is a chitrakar, and a story teller is a bhat. The Kavad makers combine the work of the carpenter and artist, while the Kavadia Bhats do the narration. The Kavad is made only in a village called Bassi, in Chittorgarh District of Rajasthan.
Satya Narayan Suthar ji is National Award Winner in Kavad Art. He was born in 1972 in Bassi, Rajasthan and learned the art of Kavad making from his father, but at the age of sixteen, he had to leave home and fend for himself. He worked as a craftsman for a commercial enterprise involved in exporting crafts. The experience made him prolific and honed his craft, giving his work a distinctive quality.
Having neither acquired nor inherited any farmland or other property he has no other source of income and depends on his artistic skills to make a living. He is married to Kaushalya, has three children and lives in a rented house. The ground floor serves as a workspace and shop. He makes kavads and other wooden object for tourists and for shops in Udaipur. He has won several awards for his unique work in the art of kavad making. In 2004 he was given the District award, followed by a State award in 2009 and recently the National award.
- Size: 10 inch (with sun on top included 12 inches), 8 part Kavad
- Handpainted in Kavad style
- The image shown here is representative to help visualize the artwork in a home setting and not an actual framed image
- Artist: Satnarayan Suthar , National Award Winner from Bassi, Rajasthan
- This artwork will be made to order and will take 3-4 weeks
- COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings and artworks
- Certificate of Authentication will be provided
- Please write to us at email@example.com for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat.
• The image shown here is representative to help visualize the painting in a home setting. Price specified is for unframed painting and the painting would be sent without a frame unless specified otherwise in the description.
• All paintings are mostly made to order and take 2-3 weeks
• COD cannot be accepted as a payment option for paintings
• Certificate of Authentication will be provided
• Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any customisation in size or ping us on the website chat